Thursday 10 March 2016

Starting a Junk Journal...

Hi everyone and welcome. So you know what it's like, we all browse through online galleries, Pinterest, Instagram and the like looking at the ideas. Recently I've spotted some fantastic junk journals and thought it could be fun to create on surfaces that would otherwise end up in the recycling bag. First though I needed the covers to hold the results of future playtime adventures...


Simple thick cardboard square bases are easily transformed with texture paste, card and paint. I used both the Coarse and Fine versions of paste, with the latter used through the Texture Stencil. A coat of white Gee-Sso Good gesso evened out the paste  and card shapes before painting.


I used dilute Hot Cocoa, Burning Bonfire, Postbox Red, Vodka Martini and Townhouse Teal English Cottage Artist's Acrylic paints to dribble, run and paint the layers. Then the edges were given a border of black Gee-Sso Good gesso and I stamped the words from the new A5 Chemistry Lab stamp set. The stamped pen nibs on the reverse are from the A5 Take The Time stamp set. A coat of matte Slap It On protected the newly altered surfaces ready now for the inclusion of lots of fun pages.



I hope this has given you some ideas for decorating journal covers of your own.

For now take care of yourselves,
Jenny xxx

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking covers! Look forward to seeing more of the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic Jenny I love the re-cycling idea, and like Astrid I can't wait to see the inside. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am looking forward to what will appear between the these fabulous covers. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo love the look of this xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab journal covers hun, look forward to seeing the contents :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great journal covers Jenny, that course texture paste looks like sand, can't wait to tune in and see what you have treated us with inside. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome journal covers jenny - I wonder if thats the coarse texture paste I got from Indigo Blu when I came to your poppy canvas class? I just discovered mine the other day - so untidy!!! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally in love with the gritty texture paste and it looks fantastic on your journal. Wonderful colours! I too, look forward to seeing what is between those covers... Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea and gorgeous textural covers ! Looking forward to seeing the contents x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing texture and the colours are so cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete