Thursday 29 November 2018

Pour your Art out with Kay Halliwell-sutton and the BluBirds

Hello to you on such a wet and windy afternoon. Because its not nice out I decided it was the craft room for me and thought I would do a quick blog post to share with you with lots of photos and a couple of quick tutorials.


As you may have seen a couple of weeks ago, Kay shared with us on Hochanda another way to use the IndigoBlu Acrylic paints for Paint Pouring. If you ordered from her show you might be pleased to have a couple tips to inspire you to open those bottles and have a go! I have to say this is one of my favourite ways of using paint.










Kay has mixed up the paints with the Go-Flow pouring meduim along with a few drops of Cell-U-like and added each colour along with white paint to create a 'Dirty Cup'.




The cup of paint was then poured onto the prepared canvas set inside a foil tray to catch the excess paint from the pour.







With this pour Kay made little circle movements when pouring the paint from the cup, then tipped the canvas backwards and forwards until the paint covered all the canvas.




After a quick blast from the blow torch, more cells came to the surface and any bubbles were popped.




Kay then went on to show us that you can also do Pours over other objects like this bowl using the same method as above.




Below are some Video's I have made to take you through the first steps of Paint Pouring and mixing of the Paints and some easy fun techniques. The 2nd video shows you some different ways to do pours. I hope that they are helpful and you enjoy them.








Fellow Blubird Emma and I have put together a couple of quick tutorials for you to have a go out.

Emma Blake 1.To start with I used tiger Lilly, indigoblu, stroke of midnight and white paint.

2.I mixed up my colours using the 1:2 ratio and added a little water to thin the mixture down, I then added a couple of drops of the cell u like to the tiger Lilly and stroke of midnight.


3. I then poured each colour diagonally across the canvas.


4. Using a credit card I then made a wavy diagonal movement following the lines of paint.







5. I left the paint for a few moments to let the cells develop and went over with a blow torch and watched the rest of the cells pop up.


6. I then left the canvas on a flat surface to dry out. Its very important to make sure you do this.









Sue Ralph Quick Tutorial- Tree Ring Acrylic Pour




1. To do this type of pour, mix up your chosen paint colours (I used Aladdin, Welsh Slate, Olive Waistcoat and Lime Marmalade) and white GeeSoo Good with the Go Flow and a few drops of Cell-U-Like in the coloured paint in single cups then layer up the colours along with white in a separate cup to create a Dirty Pour Cup.


2. I choose to use a round Artboard with a stand for this Pour. I gave the artboard a couple of coats of white GeeSoo one side and when dry I used Masking tape to cover the back and the bottom part where it slots into the base so I could remove the tape and drips once the pour was dry.




3. Lay the artboard, without the stand on a cup in the foil container. Using the Dirty Pour Cup pinch one side of the cup together to create a spout to pour from. Using small circular movements, start pouring the paint into the middle of the board. Keep moving the cup in the same position and hand movement until the cup is empty or the artboard is covered.




4. Use a blow torch at this stage to pop any bubbles and to bring up more cells.


5. If you want to stretch out the rings gently tip the artboard in different directions. Now leave to dry out for a few days.


6. Once dry, take off the masking tape from the back of the artboard and paint that and the stand with white GeeSoo.


7. Leave to dry paint the stand and back of the board with Aladdin Paint. Now slot the two pieces together.


8. Wipe off any residue cell-u-like that has come to the surface of the pour, then Varnish to seal and protect your creation plus it also brightens up the colours again.








And so to finish off this post I would like to share with you some of the wonderful samples my fellow BluBirds created for kays Hochanda show. Absoulty stunning!




Samples by Julie Atkinson



Samples from Carolyn Lakin






Samples from Kay Molyneux









Samples from Emma Blake






And to finish off, a few more of my samples I made for the show.



Thanks for stopping by. I will be back soon with a few more quick tutorials and tips from Lou Withers Mxed Media Material IndigoBlu show . xx

No comments:

Post a Comment